Every year 50,000 people from selected more impoverished countries in the world are given Green Cards and a chance to move to America and "live the American Dream."
The first or second night of every English Camp, the talk is about "Hopes, Dreams and Goals." Where do you want to go in life? What would make you the most happy? What are your deepest desires and hopes?
For a majority of the students, their ultimate dream, is to move to America.
America represents opportunity.
We would always ask them where in America they wanted to go...thinking it would be LA or New York or Chicago.
"CON-NEC-TI-CUT." They would sound out each syllable.
"Where??"
"CO-NEC-TIC-CUT." More annunciation.
"...Oh, I don't know where that is."
Finally, you realize they are saying Connecticut and you are even more confused.
Your dream is to go to America and you want to live in Connecticut???
You try to hold in your confusion...I don't want to burst anyones bubble. I mean, I've never been to Connecticut so maybe its absolutely glorious.
Come to find out most of them want to go where they already have family. Why they already have family in Connecticut I will never know.
"How do you plan on getting there?" You begin to ask kids.
"I want to win the lottery." They all say.
"The lottery?" And I'm thinking, this is one of the poorest countries in Europe and they have a lottery??? Again, you don't want to burst anyones bubble and say "look, the chances of you winning the lottery are slim to none so maybe you need to come up with a more realistic dream."
Instead you ask, "How much is the lottery?"
After a lot of translating and explaining you realize they aren't talking about a cash lottery but a lottery to get a free Green Card to America.
This still seems like a slim to none chance. How many people get to go?
October is the month you can apply for the lottery so right now everyone is talking about it.
We recently found out that about 5,000 Albanians are chosen PER YEAR.
In a country of only 3 million that's actually more than a slim to none chance considering not everyone is eligible to apply.
You have to have a certain level of education or job experience.
You have to have someone you know or family waiting to take care of you in America until you can establish yourself.
In fact, we know a few people in the last years who have gone to America through this lottery system.
So its not a vast amount of people but its enough to create HOPE.
We were recently asked what we foresaw being one of greatest setbacks in ministry. I believe this has something to do with it.
Most students want to leave Albania. That is their highest goal.
I used to think they didn't understand. That they had an unrealistic picture of America. That they were placing their hope in something that would inevitably disappoint them.
But the more I am here, the more I understand.
The systems here are riddled with corruption.
You bribe the doctor to give you the correct diagnosis.
You pay your teacher to give you the grade you deserve.
You slip cash in your passport at border control to cut in front of 40 cars.
Because I am from America, I see all the problems with it, but I do forget about the opportunity it provides.
If you work HARD, their is a great potential that you can achieve your goals.
And that statement is all relative.
I don't mean anyone can live in Beverly Hills or own a yacht.
The goals Albanians are dreaming of is getting a job that pays for food and electricity. They want to live very simply.
Not having to bribe your teacher to give you the grade you actually deserve.
Not having to have your electricity shut off in the winter because you can't pay the last year of bills.
There are VERY few jobs, even if you have a college education.
And they will work together and work HARD for these things. They might run into obstacles and hard times and confusion in America, but not necessarily the brick walls of corruption they run into here.
And it is not only America that they go to. They go to Italy, Germany, France, Greece and many other places. In fact, most of the money in Albania comes from family members sending it from the outside. Of the 6 million Albanians in the world, only 3 of them actually live here. Most of them, especially this younger generation, want to get out.
I guess I don't really know how to respond when people tell us they just want to leave.
It's a little bit of an odd feeling when you have left your home and your family to come and love them.
But at the same time, I understand. I understand wanting to pursue a different life than subsistence farming or owning a tiny shop in front of your house.
So we can pray: that the Lord would raise up strong leaders that would be passionate about their people knowing who Christ is. And we are so thankful to already see that happening.
And its also good to remind ourselves that we are here to serve and obey. We will work hard. We will give these people our all. We will be faithful testimonies of Jesus. But we aren't responsible for the results. That is all God. We can plant seeds and water the plants, but only God can make them grow and bear fruit.
And we are thankful to watch as God works!
This fall, 5 bible studies have started at our little church plant in Pogradec!
Last year this time there was 1.
There are people in the street asking if we have a children's ministry or a women's bible study they and their kids can come to.
The spiritual climate is overwhelmingly beautiful.
There is hunger and hopelessness.
There is teachability and thirst.
We are so thankful to throw ourselves into ministry with these people.
| Cory speaking at the Youth Meeting |
No comments:
Post a Comment