11/25/14

To Be Known...

In American culture, we talk a lot about wanting to "be known." We want people to know us, who we are, and what we are about. 

Now, if you are having a hard time being known...please come move here. 

Not only will you be able to help us with a work and a harvest much too great for 2 people, but you will also be known. 

For instance...

I was walking in the street the other day (not very close to our house) and I saw a bunch of really cool wooden crates that had apples in them. I have been looking for a basket to put our Albanian books in and haven't been able to find one. 

I was pointing them out to Cory when a man said "Can I help you?" 

I was shocked. Not only that he spoke English but that he asked me if he could help me. I don't remember the last time I heard that. Normally its more like "what you want?" if its English at all. 

Ummm...yes. I proceeded to ask him about the crates. 

They were his he said. He made them he said. He didn't sell them. 

I asked if he could make one for me. 

In my peripheral I saw a lot of people looking and pointing at me saying "American, American." 

"Sure, I will make one for you and bring it to you tomorrow. I know where you live." He said. 

"Oh great ok! Thank you! Yes tomorrow is perfect." 

I was so excited about getting the crate that it took me a minute to realize he knew where I lived. I had never seen this man before and I wasn't in the vicinity of our house. 

"You know where I live?" I finally asked. 

He pointed in the direction of our house. "Yes, yes I know. I will drop it off at Rudi's. You know Rudi." 

Yes I know Rudi. He owns the shop across the street from our house. 

"Well great! Thank you!" 

"Have a nice day." He said. I haven't heard that in a long time either. 

That's not the first time a complete stranger has told me they know where we live. 

In reality, most people that live in the city center know where "the American's" live. 

Pogradec is not massive but the city and outlying villages have about 40,000 people. 

I could look at this one of two ways. 

The first way is how I looked at it when Cory was gone for the night and I was alone. Fear. I slept with a knife by my bed. Not that that would help me whatsoever, it was more the thought of it. That's embarrassing. Everyone knows where I live. I am an American in a country of nominal Muslims. If anyone wanted to find me, they could. Very easily. 

The second is how I should look at it. Opportunity. Everyone knows where we live. If they need help, they know where we live. If students hear about our bible studies and want to come, they know where we live. If I want a wooden crate for $4 from the man on the side of the road, he knows where we live. 

So, if you're looking to be known...

www.josiahventure.com

Also, we will be sending out an update on Thanksgiving which includes a video Cory has made that shows a little bit of our life here in Albania! 

If you would like to receive our email updates, sign up HERE.  


Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your friends and family! We are so thankful for all of you! 

And here is Shiloh Belle with some pants on her head...


No comments:

Post a Comment