We could not be more thankful for the day we had together!
When we got married, we knew we were coming to Albania without shipping anything so we worked hard not to accumulate too much stuff. We didn't collect Christmas ornaments or decorations because we knew we wouldn't be able to bring them with us.
Because of that, this was really our first Christmas together where it felt "Christmassy." Meaning, we got a tree and decorated it and wrapped presents and made yummy food all day. It was fun to be able to start our own family traditions!
And it was so special with Shiloh! Christmas is a whole different experience with kids! Even though Shiloh is only 1 it was such a blast to watch her figure out how to tear the paper and then watch her excitement when she saw what was inside.
It was a very special time as a family and it caused me to reflect on the goodness of the Lord to us this past year.
I am thankful that we have "settled." We have a home.
We have furniture that we are going to keep.
We have ornaments that I will pack away for next year.
We have pots and pans and dishes to cook Christmas dinner.
We have friends that stopped by all day with sweet, thoughtful presents for Shiloh Belle.
We have a beautiful, full life here. In many ways, I don't know how it happened. Its as if I blinked after I graduated college and all of a sudden I have a husband, a home in Albania and two babies.
I feel very undeserving of all these things.
It is very humbling.
Especially because we are surrounded by those who have so much less that we do, have been given so much less opportunity, and have struggled, in many ways, for their whole life.
It makes the message of Christmas deeper and sweeter to me in a way that I wouldn't have imagined.
Whenever we drive out of Pogradec we see at least half a dozen shepherds and their sheep. They stand out in the freezing cold all day long taking care of them. It looks miserable, to be honest and I always feel bad for them.
Yesterday when we read Luke 2 I was thinking about those shepherds. It truly is touching that shepherds were the first to see the incarnate Son of God. And it's such a beautiful picture of His character.
It gives me an even greater love for these people and a greater desire that they know the truth of who Jesus is.
I am very thankful and feel overwhelmed and blessed by our first Christmas here.
And for those who have been asking, the Prime Rib actually turned out amazing! I'm not really sure how, it was just a fluke because I just took it out when I felt it should be done. Either that or Cory was praying that it would be good so I would be a happy wife on Christmas.
But I have solved the mystery of the size of the Prime Rib...
It is veal. Or Baby cow. Sorry I just have to say it.
I knew this. I knew I was always buying "baby cow," because that is all they butcher.
No wonder the Prime Rib was a quarter of the size as in the pictures.
Well, essentially we are eating Grass Fed Veal...so there is a plus of living in a subsistence farming country.
Actually, if you want to know what Albania is like, watch the first scene of Fiddler on the Roof. It's pretty much identical apart from the fact that we have more buildings and cars. We recently watched it and couldn't believe how similar it was.
Here are some pics of our day...
Also, just a quick word on our Women's Christmas Party.
This is a recap.
Everyone came dressed in their best.
We did a White Elephant gift exchange where I got some neon pick lipstick and some rusted silver hoop earrings. There was also a perfume that I used to love and has been discontinued for 5 years. It magically appeared at the party. It took everything in me not to steal it. All the way up until the moment of my turn, I was in inner turmoil on what to do.
After that, everyone ate about 6 slices about pizza. I am not exaggerating. We are talking 30, 40, and 50 year old women. It was all gone. Not a piece left.
I had heard we were going to dance but I wasn't thinking it was going to happen after how much pizza everyone ate.
THEN, the music started. They ALL got up and started dancing. And a more appropriate way to describe it would be to say we hopped in a circle really fast. I got a cramp after about 2 minutes.
Many of these ladies are moms of students. Some of them come to the Women's Bible study and the rest have said they want to begin to. It was a wonderful time and I'm so thankful for the relationships being built.
This is my friend Bruna's mom. She knit Shiloh an entire outfit for her birthday! Both of her kids have gotten saved at summer camps and she has since begun to attend the Women's bible study.
Again, we are so thankful for this Christmas season here and feel extremely blessed by all of our friendships here and the love and support of so many in America.
And one last pic. Flash Back to last Christmas. How much has changed in a year!






No comments:
Post a Comment