1/20/15

In Shiloh with Shiloh

5 years ago (January 17 to be exact) I met Cory in New Jersey on the way to Israel. 

We studied there for 4 months. 

It was a life changing semester. Not only because I met Cory, but also because of everything I learned and saw while I was there. 

Cory and I constantly talk about our time in Israel. Memories, lessons we learned, places we saw, arguments we had...

When we first talked to President of JV about joining JV, Cory described the kind of country he would like to serve in. Not Israel, but like Israel. Like Jerusalem. 

In our memory, Jerusalem is full of chaos and disorder. There are loud shopkeepers barking at you to come look in their store. There are cats EVERYWHERE that look like they've been on tumble dry for 2 hours. The smell of nasty incense and exotic spices fills the air. 

This last week we had the opportunity to go back to Israel. We had the most amazing time. We are so thankful, privileged and blessed. We realize that Israel is a once in a lifetime opportunity and the fact that we have been there multiple times is a gift! 

We went to all of our favorite places in Jerusalem. 

However, it was such a different place than the place of our memories. 

It seemed cleaned. It seemed orderly. It seemed Westernized. 

The shopkeepers were quieter. The smells less offensive. The cats less disgusting. 

And we missed Albania. We missed all the things we hate. We missed the people. We missed the language. We missed the culture. We missed the chaos. 

And that is the Lord. He has given us a love for this place that I can't even really logically explain. And even though I sometimes hate it, I actually love it. And I shouldn't love it. I grew up in Southern California. I am way out of my comfort zone. I am far from what I know. But this place and these people are so dear to me. 

Here is Shiloh in Shiloh. She slept the whole entire time and this was the best pic we got. Shiloh is where Hannah prayed to the Lord for a son. Shiloh is where the Ark of the Covenant when Israel came into the Promised Land. Shiloh is where Samuel heard God's voice. Her name has many meanings but the one that we love is "That which belongs to Him." 



This is at the Dead Sea with my sweet sisters. I had the best time with them and it was so fun to watch them with Shiloh. She LOVES them. The weather here was also amazing and we were able to thaw out a little bit. 


The Mount of Olives is behind us in this picture. It's crazy to think that Shiloh won't remember any of this. She was however, a TROOPER the whole time. She barely napped, ate lots of pita, and was strapped to Cory's back the whole time. She oohed and ahhed at everything she saw and loved being on the go. She is seriously better behaved when we are out than when we are home. 




Taliah was also a trooper and we are 27 weeks today! This pregnancy is flying by. 




Shiloh loved all the colors in the Old City market and pointed at everything she saw. 


Here they are...best buddies. Shiloh's word of choice right now is "GO" and she says it when we sing "Let it Go." Over and over again in a sing-song voice. She sang in Cory's ear the whole week "Gooo, goo, goo," in her cute little voice. 



We are so thankful for the time we were able to spend in Israel. It was encouraging, refreshing and a blessing to be with my family. There are more pics on my Instagram as well. 

Now, we are back home and in the swing of things. Well, Shiloh has to relearn how to play by herself...which is so fun. 

Today, Cory had some boys over to play Settlers of Catan and he taught them and played the game speaking only Albanian! 


In my girls bible study today we talked about the man who was healed at the pools of Bethesda and it was special to be able to tell them I had just been to that very place! 

The next few months before Taliah comes, we are kicking our language lessons into high gear and having our teacher come 5 days a week. Here we go! 

As we ate dinner together tonight, we were talking about how thankful we are to live here, how much we love these people and this place, and how excited we are for what is to come! 

No comments:

Post a Comment