I've been trying to take some pictures of our daily life so that you can see the things I describe.
This has proven harder than I anticipated, as I don't want to be a creep going around town taking pictures of "normal things." I am already stared at enough.
As I have walked around Pogradec the last week, I've realized that many of the "sights" that I wish you could see, are faces. Not places. But faces.
The lady who sells green onions and carrots in the neatest little rows, all day every day and wears the coolest looking parka jacket I have ever seen.
The widow who cleans the streets of trash, all day every day.
The man who laughs EVERY SINGLE TIME I buy produce at his little out door shop. I have no idea what he is laughing at.
The elderly couple that owns the "health food" store down the street. It is definitely not the health food store you have in mind. We just call it that because they have things like oats and coconut milk. It is more of an "imported" foods store. You can actually even get soy sauce. Anyways, EVERY SINGLE TIME I go into this store, the sweet lady tries to sell me things I don't want or need...like that stringy, hairy stuff you use to make baklava. Or mushrooms. Or a VAT of olive oil. No, I just came in yesterday and I told you I have olive oil.
The man who owns the shop across the street that we go into EVERY day to buy eggs or paper towels, or toilet paper or dark chocolate for Taliah :)
Well, I wish I had faces for you today. I'll work up the courage to ask them if I can "make a photo of them" (literal translation). And find out if that would be offensive. They would probably be very confused. But here are some pictures of our everyday life.
Most mornings after we eat breakfast and read our Bibles, we read this bible. It is a Children's bible story book. Yes like the one you read to 3 year olds. It says things like "You can be God's friend too," and "Jesus is happy when you obey him." I've never been so thrilled to be able to read these words.
Below, is a picture of a funeral procession. I am standing on our balcony. I don't know if you can tell how many people are back there. There is a cemetery up the hill behind our house, so they always pass us. More often than you would think. When a processional goes by, everyone around stops and watches, I'm assuming as an act of respect. Often times people will also join the processional. It is also very quiet. No talking or crying ect. Just a very slow march up the hill. Many people carry flowers as well.
I've mentioned this before, but the economy of Albania is one that struggles. Sadly, there is an incredible lack of good jobs. Many men are unemployed and during the days the "local's" or coffee shops are full of men sitting around drinking raki. Raki is their own special hard liquor that is probably about 98% alcohol. They sip a little glass of it alternately with a tiny mug of turkish coffee ALL DAY LONG. There are many "men only" locals, and nearly ever other shop is a Local.
There is one next door that is very dark most of the day. I recently realized it's because there is 1 lightbulb suspended from the ceiling. When our power goes out I run outside to check if it is just us, or the whole neighborhood. I normally peak my head into this coffee shop but sometimes, I can't even tell if the light bulb is on or off...I don't even know if that makes sense. So I've gotten used to not being able to tell, and I just ask them "Ka drita?" You have lights? They probably think I'm really dumb because I'm sure I've asked when the light bulb is obviously on.
Anyways, here are some men sipping their raki and chatting it up. Sometimes, there are like 6 men crowded around a table that same size.
And here, is my breath of fresh air. It sounds ridiculous but this is like my ultimate gift from God apart from all the other real things like salvation and Cory and Shiloh. I joke around, but the weather and the dirt and the dust really can be hard for me. Especially depending on how pregnant or tired or ungodly I am. But this beautiful view when I go on walks with Shiloh, always reminds me that God is taking care of me. I feel like I can breath and relax. I am so thankful for this lake and this walk.
Here is the little shop across the street that I mentioned early. We really do go here nearly every day. The son of the couple that owns it actually came to one the the camps this last summer. We look forward to the day where we can make more than small talk and truly be "neighbors" to these people. Many people own little shops like this. There are probably about a dozen in the quarter mile around our house. They live behind or on top of their shops and everyone sells the same thing.
Here is Cory pushing Shiloh up the street to our house. He is actually starting to look Albanian I think. Twice this last week, we were getting groceries and as I was bagging things up, he was mistaken for a shop owner and asked about the cost of olives. You can see our white Mitsubishi Pajero on the left with the storage thing on top. Our house is right about the NOA sign . You can see Shiloh's widow. The green place next door is a wedding venue. This means that most Thursday nights there blaring Albanian music ALL NIGHT. I think we've gotten used it because now that I write this, I realize I don't notice it half as much anymore.
Here is the man that cackles EVERY SINGLE TIME we get produce from him. I really don't know what is so funny. I'm probably saying everything wrong but he laughs when I say normal things like "Thank you" and I'm pretty sure I say that right because no one else laughs at me. He always has amazing yummy things I can't get anywhere else. Lately, he has had strawberries, which have been the blessing of February. His son is often there as well. One time I tripped on the stairs trying to reach for some garlic. He reminds me of this every time he sees me. It was obviously a high light for him. You can kind of tell, but next to all the produce is a shop that has more "practical" random things like brooms and kettles. But there are 1000's of things kind of like Ariel's cave. And EVERY SINGLE night the shop owners put it all away inside. And EVERY SINGLE morning they take it out and arrange it very nicely on boxes and tables in front of their shop. Seldom do you actually go into a shop to buy something.
Here is a pic of the women's bible study today. Kids all come. Everyone talks over each other. But they wouldn't have it any other way. I love it. I probably stare everyone down as they are talking because I'm trying so hard to catch their words. Sometimes I get weird looks and I realize I am scowling at them. I CANNOT wait to be able to understand everything and then to be able to SAY everything.
Last but not least, here are the two people I love more than anything. I can't believe I get to spend my days with them. Shiloh is a constant joy and gift to us. Cory endlessly serves and loves me in a way I don't deserve. Here he and Shiloh are, surveying the dinner that he made last night. I can't say enough about him. How hard he works every day to love us, to care for these people, and to give himself to this place. And now I can't say anymore because I'm pregnant and I'm starting to cry.


No comments:
Post a Comment