2/16/16

Happy Tuesday

A random update on the last week...

--Potty training is going...ok. I would say ok. 

She needs to learn to tell us she has to go potty BEFORE she starts to go rather than after she starts...

Also I have to teach her that while it is OK for her to pull her pants down at our house, it's not really appropriate when we are at our friends house, or on walk...in front of all the men playing dominos. Yes that happened. 

--Some new girls (sisters) came to my Bible study. One of my girls invited them and they have since come to youth group, church on Sunday, and to my house everyday. I told them their mom should come to the Women's Bible study and that we could walk over together on Saturday. They all (sisters, mother, baby brother) showed up to my house an hour and half early. I was in the middle of making breakfast, there were toys all over the kitchen, I'm sure Shiloh was half naked and I wasn't super presentable myself. There was a man coming over to install something and I had a list of things I wanted to do before bible study. I was shocked. But I knew I couldn't turn them away so we sat in my kitchen and chatted for a long time. I think I said everything I am capable of saying in Albanian. There were dishes in my sink and toys all over my floor and I just sat their smiling and talking like a 3 year old. But I was again reminded that people are important. 

And I need to be welcoming when I am not ready and hospitable when I don't feel like it. 

---Cory and I have been doing our Albanian lessons together since we moved here. This last week we started doing them separately. It seems to be better for our day and instead of getting distracted by the girls we are able to take turns and focus. 

It is fascinating to me how our brains work with languages. For example, I was at Women's bible study on Saturday and as Melodie was talking I realized I knew every word she was saying. I understand everything. But, I would never be able to reproduce it. Right now, there is no way I could sit down and say all of that even though I know all the words and I know exactly what is being said. 

I am at the point where I know longer feel encouraged simply that I understand. I want to speak and I want to be able to say whatever I want. It's so weird to have a limited vocabulary and to be unable to express yourself to people. 

And I feel in someways that I understand exactly how Shiloh is developing. She knows and understands everything and she is able to say a lot. But not everything. And it can also be frustrating being unable to communicate what you want to communicate. Of course, Shiloh screams and drops to the floor when she isn't understood, which is unacceptable, but sometimes I want to do just that. 

----Every week there are new people at church and new kids in Sunday School. Before we grow out of the church itself, I think we will grow out of the kids room. This Sunday was the first Sunday where I felt like they all sang together. Normally it is just me butchering the songs by myself. The worst part of this is that they can hear me in the service when the music finishes. It was a blast to watch them all get into it. I'm excited to see how the children's ministry grows and what comes from it. 


----I love this little family of mine more than anything. I feel privileged to be working and serving alongside my incredible husband. 

No comments:

Post a Comment