3/25/16
Masquerade
We have had a very full couple of weeks. And yes it is always full, but I feel like we have packed an extra amount into the last 3 weeks.
We kicked off our Sfida ("challenge" in Albanian) which I wrote about last year HERE.
We had a Masquerade Ball which was hilarious and I spent a lot of the week preparing for it.
Sometimes I find myself asking, why am I doing this? I was trying to make centerpieces but the options are just minimal.
I literally walked around Pogradec for an hour and a half looking for candles. No one had them.
And for what? Like is this really the best way to spend my time?
But this is one of the biggest outreaches we do. The "Sfida." It draws in SO MANY new kids that would never come to church otherwise. Every week they have multiple "challenges" that they have to do and then at youth group they always have some kind of presentation like a skit in English, or a dance or...whatever else we think will make us laugh ;)
We then gear the message at youth group to be a bit more Evangelistic.
Cory preached on Saturday about the problem of sin and how it separates us from God.
The Sfida lasts for 6 weeks. So every week for six weeks these kids are constantly together and slowly they get drawn into the life of the church. They hear a focused gospel message for 6 weeks straight, come to church on Sunday and many of them come to faith in Christ.
BUT, you gotta make it great. Like if you're going to do an Outreach don't make it lame right? Because they will associate the church with that.
I'm not talking about being seeker friendly or watering down the truth.
But don't be boring. And do things with excellence even if its a Masquerade Ball.
And it's crazy to think about how the little things make a difference. But I really think they do.
So it feels worth it. Spending hours to find candle sticks and spray paint coke bottles. I also had a blast with my Bible study girls preparing for it.
Not only that but the Sfida funnels a ton of girls into Bible study. We have had between 15-20 the last few weeks.
On Friday we finished 1st John and discussed the reality that Jesus is God's Son with girls who have never heard this before.
I am always touched when girls who have been in Bible study the last year and a half begin to "take over" the Bible Study in a sense. They jump in and share with the new girls what the Bible is, how to find the chapters and verses as we read, and what the gospel really is. They always make sure that they are caught up and understand what is going on.
And I just kind of sit back and watch, amazed that a year and a half ago, those girls had never heard the gospel or read the Bible.
We talked about having "eyes to see" and "ears to hear" and what that really means. And I feel like I have seen that in a whole new way since being in Albania. Watching God enlighten hearts to His truth in a place that is very godless is a privilege.
Coming up...
Women's Day Event
Stranded in Tirana
Visit from a Friend
Packed out on Sunday
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment