10/9/17

Before Fall

I wrote this blog at the end of summer and never posted it. After that I can move on to our time in America :)  Happy Monday! 



I've realized this summer how incredibly spoiled I am. Or "blessed" to use a more Biblical word. 

In life in general, but as a missionary specifically. 

Often times when people think about missions, they think of sacrifice. And I believe this has to do with traditional missions. The first missionaries. 

They packed their belongings in coffins and journeyed for months on ships to places that no one else had ever been too. They never saw their families again. They never went home. 

THAT is not what we are doing. That's why I struggle to use the word "sacrifice" in reference to myself. 

When you compare it to that, I struggle to even call myself a missionary. 

But even beyond that, compared to many missionaries today, I would say I am spoiled, blessed. 

Why? 

There is no end to the list of reasons: the spiritual harvest in Albania, the team we have to work with, the city we live in. 

But beyond that, 

because of the family and friends that we have in our lives. 

We are SO incredibly supported its not fair. It is truly unbelievable.

We have family and friends come all year long and the summer is just one big party. 

Seriously, I have stayed up past midnight every night nearly all summer just talking, laughing and sharing with the family and friends in our home. Only to wake up with my kids at 6:30 AM the next morning and do it again the next night because its so stinkin fun. 

They bring us suitcases full of stuff, they love on my kids, they clean my kitchen, they love the people we love, they encourage us, they send us on dates, they challenge us and they care for us. 

This summer, I feel so thankful for this because I realize this is not the norm. 

I love that we do summer camps because of the reasons I shared in my last blog but I also love it because it brings our loved ones to us! 

They get to come and see the ministry and be a part of it and stay in our home. They get to be encouraged by what God is doing while they encourage us in the process. 

It truly is an amazing thing. We are so thankful for the churches that send teams. We are so thankful for the family members that come on those teams. We are so thankful for the love and support we have. 

So, while I would like to think I would have gotten on a ship with my coffin to come to Albania, I am so thankful that what we are doing has become a part of my families life too. 

So many times this summer, I have been touched by how my family and friends have jumped in and become a part of the ministry here. And I know that it will be for the rest of their lives. 

And it makes me excited to see what will happen in Albania because of the support we have and the encouragement we have to keep serving and working here. 

I wish I had pictures with everyone, but these are some of the highlights!

My cousin Dani came for the second time this summer and we had a blast the week before the first camp. I did have to fight for time with her though since every girl in church wanted to hang out with her! 
"Uncle" Daniel brought Moana PJ's and toys for the girls and they will never forget it. It wouldn't be summer without Uncle Daniel here!
My sisters, Aunt Tracy and Uncle Robert (my forever Heroes who led the team from FBC), cousins, Nano and Sammy. I could cry thinking about how thankful I was that they came. The time we spent with Robert and Tracy was invaluable to us. 
Kassi, my buddy while everyone was at camp, (center) was in my small group when we lived in Washington and was on the first Albania team and Cheri   (who looks like she could be my sister!) a dear friend who has loved Albania with us from the very beginning.
My super hero sisters who are a blast to be around, are phenomenal at camp and who love my kids. 

Micah and Abbie Dixon, amazing friends who came spent 10 days with us both at camp and during an off week. We were so encouraged by our time with them and everyone is asking when they are coming back!

Saying goodbye to Dylan. A long time family friend who this summer was our intern, our entertainer, our go to for grocery runs and one of our favorite parts of the summer!











1 comment:

  1. Hi Kristine! I'm the Elizabeth who said hello to you at ABC this morning :-) hope it wasn't too weird! Your blog reminds me a lot of our first time in Albania with 2 babies (tho that was it for us) :-) It was super fun to meet you in person! Many blessings

    ReplyDelete