Albania is not a third world country. But it is close. During 50 years of communism the Dictator, Envar Hoxha, had Albania on a lock down like that of North Korea today. Nobody went in, nobody went out. There were no outside books or movies or music. Albanians were made to believe that they were the most prosperous nation in the world even though they are one of the poorest nations in the northern hemisphere. The roads were made to wind so that traveling distances were longer and the country seemed larger than it actually is.
When communism fell and missionaries began to flood into Albania, it was as if they were traveling back in time. 50 years back in time. 50 years when technology and health care and industry had drastically grown and improved in the developing world.
That was 20 years ago. The Albania of today is much more developed that it was when the curtain fell. However, it still feels like you are traveling back in time and you can feel the effects of 50 years of isolation everywhere you go.
Before Shiloh Belle I didn’t think much about the lack of health care in Albania. Neither Cory or I have any health problems or concerns and if we were to get sick there are over the counter antibiotics. Apart from an extreme emergency you don’t go to the hospital on a regular basis anyways.
Shiloh changed everything for me. Babies seem so tiny and fragile. The first month was a roller coaster simply because I didn’t know what was normal.
She was congested. Did that mean she was sick or do babies just get stuffy?
She had a swollen finger from a hang nail. Was it infected?
Part of her belly button was still sticking out. Was that a hernia?
How many times a day should she poop?
I was never so thankful for a doctor. And I’m not really a “call the doctor” kind of person either.
The more I realized about the lack of good health care in Albania, the more worried I became. Not outwardly or vocally, but internally and subconsciously.
Thoughts like “is this wise to take my baby to a place with minimal health care?” entered my mind for the first time.
What if she gets croupe? There is no ER 10 minutes away.
What if her fever gets too high?
What if something is wrong and I can’t figure out what?
These thoughts crossed my mind often after she was born and I think I just stuffed them or thought I would deal with it when it came to that point.
A couple of weeks ago we were in Brain Head Utah with my family. 8000 ft. in elevation.
The last day after my family had left, Shiloh woke up with her first fever at midnight. I gave her some Tylenol and she fell asleep a few hours later.
The next morning we woke up to leave for Colorado. I thought at least we would be off the mountain and could go to an urgent care or ER if her fever got too high.
There was a blizzard outside. White out.
There was already a ton of snow on the ground and it was coming down fast.
Shiloh still had a fever and it was higher than before. It’s so sad when their little bodies are so hot!
I felt very stuck.
Shiloh had a fever.
We were on a mountain.
It was covered in icy snow.
Our car doesn’t have 4 wheel drive.
We packed up as fast as we could and Cory put chains on the tires and slowly drove down the icy mountain.
At one point it was so slippery we spun onto the other side of the road and someone had to help us maneuver the car back onto the right side.
But…it could have not been fine.
There COULD HAVE been too much snow for us to leave.
Shiloh’s fever COULD HAVE gotten too high.
We COULD HAVE slid so much on the ice that we were really stuck.
And a lesson I have already learned hit me all over again:
It doesn't matter where I am. Our lives and health are in the hands of God.
So simple.
I may be in a small Albanian town with poor health care
OR
I could be in a wealthy resort town in Utah completely snowed in.
I can trust the Lord for my husbands health, my baby’s health, and my own.
Very simple.
Not easy. But simple.
I’m sure I will continue to learn this lesson. Please pray that I would remember this and that I would trust Him for the health of my family!
There's something that happens when you become a Momma that everything around you isn't as easy to just "let go" of. Praying for you as you continue to trust in the Lord and His Sovereignty over you, Cory and Shiloh. It's definitely not easy, but knowing that our Comforter and Healer is in control, does make it better.
ReplyDelete