4/8/15

New "Firsts"

We are now in Tirana! 

Last pic as a family of 3 at our house in Pogradec!


Officially waiting for the birth of Taliah. We are so thankful for the friends that have let us use their apartment for this time!

All packed up...for who knows how long...

The weeks leading up to our arrival here were crazy and full. 

Shiloh got some kind of virus with a fever that got up to 104. That was probably one of the scariest moments of my life. Definitely of our time here in Albania. 

It is a helpless feeling to not be able to just go to the ER. 

The health care system in Albania and especially in Pogradec is full of corruption, lack of education and lack of funds. 

Every night when we put Shiloh to bed we pray that we he will "take care of her in ways that we can't." 

Its almost easier to trust that God is in ultimate control when you have no other choice. You have nothing else to fall back on. I don't know if that's a good thing or not, but its true. 

Then I got what Shiloh had, minus the fever. I'm surprised my brains didn't come out my nose from all the sneezing I did. Or Taliah, she could've come out too. 

Arriving in Tirana was a bit of a shock to our systems. We hadn't thought a ton about what it would be like and when we got here we realized what a routine we have gotten into in Pogradec. 

We know where to buy produce and meat. 

We walk everywhere. We know where everything is. We have relationships. 

I know where to put things away in my kitchen. Everything has a place. 

We have schedule. We have a language teacher. We have a home. 

It is much more of a "small town" feel in Pogradec. 

Now we feel completely out of place. 

Tirana has 1 million people seemingly stacked on top of each other. 

The traffic is insane. There is no parking. Every street dead ends. 

It is chaos. 

It's also a little weird to think of welcoming a baby "home" to someone else's home. 

The day after we arrived here was Easter. 

We have had some pretty amazing Easter's together. 

The year we were in Israel, we woke up and watched the sun rise over the Mount of Olives. 

We went to an Easter service at the Garden Tomb. 

We read the Resurrection account in the middle of Jerusalem. 

Easter is my favorite Sunday of the year. My favorite "holiday." 

He IS risen! The one ultimate reality in my life that truly matters. 

I love the music and the colors and the flowers and the spirit of celebration. 

And I would be lying if I didn't say I love the Easter outfits. 

And this year, I didn't put on a new Easter dress. 

And it felt wrong. 

How embarrassing. 

I've come to associate Resurrection Sunday with a new outfit. 

And with food. 

No honey baked ham here. 

And to top it all off it rained all day. 

We ate noodles with tomato sauce from a jar. 

I sneezed non stop. 

We didn't celebrate with family or even with all the dear people who have become family here in Albania.

We went to a church we had never been to. 

We forgot to get a family pic. 

I kinda felt sorry for myself. 

Of course then I felt guilty and then overwhelmed with what I have been given...

My wonderful husband. My precious healthy daughter. Another one nearly here. 

My Savior. The Word. 

The ministry we are blessed to be a part of. The lives we have watched change. 

The reality of the Resurrection. The truth within the words "He is Risen!" 

And I wanted a new outfit and a Honey Baked Ham. 

We live streamed the Grace Community Church Easter Service and ended the day feeling so encouraged and blown away by the gospel. 

And I don't think I will ever forget this first Easter in Albania. As cliche as it sounds I was reminded of "what is truly important" and for that I am very thankful.

We are starting to figure out life here in Tirana and are getting so excited to meet our new little girl! 

Could be today...could be 2+ weeks. 

Another first here in Albania! 

Shiloh's first time in the Nursery...she was thrilled. New toys and treats? What could be better??



No comments:

Post a Comment