11/21/16

JET LAG

How was the flight? 

I got asked this question a lot. I have an almost 3 year old and a 1 1/2 year old. The total "flight time" from Albania to the west coast is about 15 hours not including layovers and driving to the airport. So it's a valid question. 

But I have a whole new outlook on traveling with kids. And I'm not including babies from the age of 5-16 months in this. They are wild cards and don't count because their sleeping schedules are important and forever changing during this time. Any other age. 

And here's what I've decided: An airplane is like a kids dream come true. I mean think about it. 

They get to watch movies for 11+ hours straight. 
They get to eat their favorite snacks. 
They get new and special toys that they don't normally play with. 
They don't have to nap. 
Mom and Dad play with and occupy they the entire time. 

I mean really. What do they have to complain about? 

The airport layovers where they make you run to your gate only for you to find out you missed the connection. Or the trek through the airport carrying 2 sleeping babies and all your stuff. Or the TSA who decides the pregnant mom with two kids is probably the one smuggling explosives. 

I'm not talking about THAT. I'm not talking about the airport. 

I'm talking about the flight itself. I mean honestly, I look forward to our next one. The girls had the time of their life and all I had to do was sit there, eat, and watch newly released movies. 

Now, the jet lag. That is what makes me want to never leave Albania for the rest of my life. 

Not just jet lag, but jet lag with babies, or toddlers, or children. 

And let me tell you I have NEVER experienced real jet lag in my entire life until this last trip. I could sleep on the plane, arrive at my destination, stay up for a few hours and then proceed to sleep the whole night. 

But let me tell you what the symptoms of jet lag are according to Mayo Clinic: 


  • Disturbed sleep — such as insomnia, early waking or excessive sleepiness
  • Daytime fatigue
  • Difficulty concentrating or functioning at your usual level
  • Stomach problems, constipation or diarrhea
  • A general feeling of not being well
  • Mood changes

That's where you really need to weigh your decision to fly across the world. 

They say it takes about a day for every hour of time change. So that's 9 DAYS. 

We woke up at 2 or 3 AM for about a week. Or rather, Shiloh did. If ever I thought "I love my kid, but I don't really like them," it was last week when we were experiencing jet lag. 

IT WAS HORRIBLE. 

And the biggest mistake I made was giving them a nap during the day. 

They're tired. They're not just tired, they're exhausted. They are barely functioning. 

They need a nap. I thought. 

But, unfortunately their time clock was so off that catching up a little bit during the day, gave them what they needed to pop out of bed at 2 AM every morning. 

Yes. 2 AM. And because my time clock was off, when I was woken up, I couldn't fall back asleep. That meant making breakfast at 3 AM because we were all starving. 

So while all of Albania was out cold, we were watching Cinderella, dressing up, eating bacon and calling family in America. 

Then, by the time it is actually day you are so exhausted that you are good for nothing. 

But you know that sleeping will just mess you up more. 

So you kind of stay up all day in this half awake zombie mode. 

Finally, I decided I had had enough. 

Shiloh woke up at 3 AM and didn't nap ALL day long until I put her to bed at 6:30. 

One of the longest days of my life. 

I did everything I could to occupy her and keep her happy. She probably watched 3 hours of Minnie Mouse. But at least she was awake? We went on a 2 hour walk. We dressed up. We painted about 15 paintings. We went to a play place. We ate as often as possible. 

She was constantly on the verge of an epic melt down. So was I. 

And that was the night we all slept. 9 glorious hours. 

They fell asleep at 6:30 and we fell asleep at 7. 

Like honestly, it was almost as bad, if not worse than having a newborn. And no one can stone me for saying that because I've had 2 newborns. It was THAT bad. I cried at one point and I'm pretty sure Cory almost did. Maybe. 

I've never been so thankful to sleep through the night. 

So now we finally feel like we have our life back. 

For about 6 weeks before we leave for America again. 

But now I know the trick. A no nap day. A longggggg no nap day. Totally pays off in the end. 






No comments:

Post a Comment